Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Week 3 EOC: My Demographics

I am part of the Millennial or Generation Y demographic. Millennials are:
·      Born between 1977 and 2000, these children of the baby boomers number 83 million, dwarfing the Gen Xers and larger even than the baby boomer segment. (Marketing: An Introduction 73)"
·      “One thing that all of the Millennials have in common is their utter fluency and comfort with digital technology (Marketing 73)."
·      "The Millennials were the first generation to grow up in a world filled with computers, cellphones, satellite TV, iPods, and online social networks (Marketing 74)."

I was born between 1977 and 2000 to be more precise I was born in 1992. I didn’t grow up using iPads or any type of tablets, phones, or social networks. However, I was exposed to digital technology at an early age. In Pre-K I was already being taught how to use computers and it’s various functions. I can still remember my teacher showing me how to use the keyboard to type a letter in the computer, and how to use the mouse to click on what I wanted to open. For my generation and younger ones it was common to use computers to seek out information and learned. To others, “older generation” thought my generation was just lucky to use this new technology, as they still couldn’t figure out which button was used to “search the web.” Thus, when smartphones became widely used we didn’t find the new technology intimidating. Actually, even before that we had better knowledge of using the old flip phones better than our parents did. This knowledge my demographic has of digital technology enables us to get information faster. Which then enables to figure out things quickly like: how to fix our game systems, how to connect our devices to wifi, or how to figure out a problem in matter of minutes. For example, I had a friend who couldn’t understand why his computer wasn’t connecting to his printer. I went over to the printer and press one or two buttons then input the password, and to no surprise to me it was working again. No matter what the problem is we know how to get the information we need. My demographic has a this motto, “If you don’t know the answer, just Google it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment